Pasta in Tomato-Cream Sauce
this is a super creamy, super yummy pasta dish thats just perfect for a night in... i used barilla's roasted garlic pasta sauce for this, coz we LOVE garlic... but you could tone it down by using regular pasta sauce or even tinned tomatoes for this.
also, i used a double cream substitute (in an attempt to make it a bit healthier) and it tasted just fine...
- prepare the pasta according to package directions till al-dente. drain when done, and set aside.
- while the pasta is cooking, prep the rets of the ingredients. cube the sausage, dice the onions and garlic and slice the mushrooms.
- in a non-stick vessel, heat the olive oil. add the cubed sausage to the oil and sautee. the sausages will release their fats into the pan, and shrink in size.
- remove the sausage into a separate dish and set aside. add cumin seeds into the vessel on the stove.
- when the seeds splutter, add the garlic to the pan. sautee for about a minute.
- next, add the diced onion and sautee till it turns translucent.
- add the crumbled bouillon cube and ground cinnamon. stir well to combine.
- when the onion starts to caramelise to a light golden, add the mushrooms and sautee till they release their liquids into the pan and shrink.
- cook them off for a bit, till the liquids reduce by about half, and then add in the previously seared sausage pieces. stir well.
- add the jar of pasta sauce to the pan, and stir well to combine (you might want to add some water too if you feel its too thick).
- when it starts bubbling, add the rosemary, marjoram and basil. stir to combine.
- check for seasoning at this stage, and add salt (if required) and LOADS of freshly cracked black pepper.
- add the cream, and mix well. the sauce will turn into a pale orange color.
- add the cooked pasta to this and toss everything well so as to coat the pasta with the sauce. heat it through for about a minute and take it of the heat.
- serve with a light sprinkling of grater parmesan (optional, but its pretty rich as it is!) and DIG IN!!!